This tuna mornay recipe is super easy and so yummy, especially if you can get fresh tuna. My brother has also made this recipe with chicken because he didn’t have any tuna (canned or fresh), and it was still delicious.
Put some pasta on to cook before you start on your sauce. Check it occasionally while you make the sauce, and when it’s al dente drain it and set it aside. To make the sauce melt your butter in a big saucepan then cook your veggies and your meat until the veggies are soft. If you’re using canned tuna it doesn’t need cooking so you put it in later. When your veggies are soft put the flour in and stir to coat everything in flour. When everything is nicely coated with flour add half a cup of milk and stir till combined with the flour. Keep adding milk 1/2 cup at a time until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Add the cheese, mustard, garlic, and curry powder and stir until combined into the sauce fully. If you’re using tinned tuna stir it through the sauce now. Add your cooked and drained pasta and stir to make sure it’s combined thoroughly with the sauce mixture.
We normally don’t bother to make it into a bake, because it smells yummy and we don’t want to wait. If you do want to turn it into a bake top it with about half a cup of grated cheese and stick it in the oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Ingredients (Makes 5-6 serves)
- 250g pasta
- 400-500g diced fresh tuna (you can used the canned stuff if fresh tuna is too expensive) or chicken breast.
- 2 -3 cups of diced mixed veg (corn kernels, carrot, celery, zucchini etc basically whatever you have)
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp of flour
- 2-3 cups of milk
- 150g grated cheese
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Put the pasta on to cook. Cook until al dente then drain.
- Cook the chicken and veg in the butter
- Coat the veg and chicken in the flour
- Add half a cup of milk and stir till combined with the flour. Keep adding milk 1/2 cup at a time until the sauce reaches the desired consistency
- Add cheese, mustard, garlic, and curry powder and stir until combined into the sauce fully
- Stir the pasta into the sauce
- If you’re going to turn it into a bake top it with about half a cup of grated cheese and stick it in the oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden.